Before you decide on your wish, let us tell you how much each of them costs:
- 1 cotton shirt costs 20,000 litres of water to produce
- 1 laptop results in the loss of 3 square feet of rainforest
- Aviation accounts for 4 – 9 percent of the climate change impact we are seeing today
- 1 kilogramme of rice requires 1,300 litres of water to produce
- More than 13,000 gallons of water were used to make aluminium for electronic gadgets
Celebration can happen at a low cost to us and our environment, and here’s how:
- Plan your party menu and buy only sustainable produce, so you know you’re eating food that’s good for you and the planet
- Use public transport wherever possible to reduce your emissions
- Avoid buying any souvenirs that resemble animal parts, so that you don’t support illegal wildlife trade inadvertently
- Recycle your old gadgets with collection programmes located around the island. Details of these programmes and where they are located can be found here.
- Switch off lights and appliances after your party to avoid using standby energy and adding on to your bills
- Wrap your Christmas gifts using paper recycled from old newspapers and magazines instead. Watch this video for more ideas!
Have a wonderfully green Christmas this season and celebrate sustainably!