Position title: Climate Study Sustainable Palm Oil Intern
Reports to: Global Palm Oil Team – Conservation (Global Palm Oil)
Duration: 3 to 6 months
About World Wide Fund for Nature, Singapore (WWF)
WWF-Singapore is a Singapore-registered charity, a network member of WWF International – one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organisations. WWF-Singapore protects critical resources for people in Singapore by driving change across government, business, civil society and local communities. To meet key conservation goals, we address issues such as deforestation, haze pollution, seafood sustainability and illegal wildlife trade in Singapore and around the region. We deliver transformational corporate partnerships, fundraising to execute local and global conservation programmes and projects and community outreach to achieve WWF’s global goals for food, forests, oceans, water, wildlife, and climate and energy. As one of WWF’s global hubs, WWF-Singapore supports a global network that spans over 100 countries.
WWF’s vision is a future where all palm oil is produced without causing deforestation, peatland and environmental degradation or harming wildlife, where workers are treated fairly, and communities’ rights are respected, and producers including smallholder farmers have access to tools for responsible production and access to benefit from the market for responsible palm oil.
WWF’s goals for palm oil are to:
- Protect: Wildlife and the environment is protected from expansion, and palm oil driven deforestation and natural habitat conversion is halted
- Produce: Production is sustainable in resilient and biodiverse landscapes, no longer contributes to climate change, and the industry provides sustainable livelihoods, reduces poverty and respects human rights
- Restore: The industry becomes a driver for wildlife conservation and restoration efforts, ensuring that landscapes with palm oil are healthy and living
Working closely with members of the global palm oil team, the intern will help to implement and support projects and activities to accelerate demand for more sustainable and responsibly produced palm oil. The focus area of this project will be conducting in-depth research on how sustainable palm oil contributes to a nature positive climate. This includes working with WWF offices around the world and contributing to interventions that promote sustainable production, sustainable trade and sustainable consumption of palm oil.
- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Global Palm Oil team’s activities and communications with fact-checking, data analysis, descriptive statistics and scientific evidence
- Conduct literature review and consolidate resources available on the research topic
- Attend meetings and record minutes as required
- Prepare workshop materials – presentation slides and case studies
- Perform other related duties as needed to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the team
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Undergraduate students/Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Environmental Science, Communications or a related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of sustainability, conservation and related topics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, along with the maturity to work in a global, multi-cultural environment
- Flexibility and ability to work on other projects as needed
- Strong research and data management skills
- Good organisational skills
- Proficiency in other languages is desirable, particularly where relevant to major palm oil consuming nations (e.g. India, China, Indonesia, Malaysia).
This job description covers the main tasks. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
We may also disclose personal data about you to our affiliates in the network in order to manage our relationship with you.
Interested candidates are required to submit their cover letter and resume to the HR Department of WWF-Singapore (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Please indicate the position being applied for ‘Climate Study Sustainable Palm Oil Intern’ in the subject line.
Important Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.