Position title: Senior Manager, Sustainable Finance – Finance Practice Core Team
Location: Singapore. This role could also be located in Nairobi
Reports to: Practice Leader – Finance
Mission of the Practice:
The Global Finance Practice in WWF is working toward a meaningful shift in Finance to achieve
WWF’s Global Goals by influencing the financial system to improve integration of
environmental risks, deliver investment for sustainable development, and use the influence of
the financial sector in turn to drive sustainable practices through the whole economy.
To provide technical analysis, advice, and support to help deliver an action agenda in
The incumbent will: develop and provide high quality technical analysis and advice in the
field of sustainable finance to support the strategic direction of the WWF Network; facilitate
and coordinate WWF engagement with influential global actors in areas of strategic focus;
and support knowledge development and sharing of analysis, information, and trends in
sustainable finance throughout the WWF Network and externally.
- As part of the Finance Practice Core Team, provide technical thought leadership to the Finance Practice Core and Leadership teams to implement and adapt the Finance Practice strategy;
- Identify key actors in the sustainable finance sector and strategic opportunities for WWF to influence, collaborate with, or provide guidance to;
- Lead the development of specific work plans to implement WWF’s strategy with respect to the finance sector, including, for example, financial portfolio alignment with environmental goals and development of green financial solutions.
- Support WWF offices in Asia Pacific and Africa, providing expertise on the local implementation of WWF’s global Finance strategy and supporting the development of technical capacity on sustainable finance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Finance Practice Leader, Core and Leadership teams in the WWF Finance Practice to agree strategic priorities and lead specific areas of agreed strategic focus.
- Convene internal stakeholders across WWF’s global network to gather and provide content expertise, lead WWF input to external policy and regulatory requests for consultation from time to time as relevant, and raise awareness and help lead potential areas of external engagement.
- Gather research and analysis on global sustainable finance market, and lead on the development of thought leadership pieces, in close collaboration with WWF’s internal network.
- Support the Finance Practice Leader and Deputy in convening and or/participating in external discussions, conferences, and/or other similar fora as needed, and represent WWF Finance Practice in regional/sectoral events or meetings.
- Advocate and identify potential partnerships with strategic stakeholders including banks, investors, insurers, regulators and financial service providers, for a shift in the financial market towards more sustainable practices.
- Support WWF engagement in the development of new financial products that enable and accelerate the transition to a sustainable economy, and innovative approaches and tools for sustainable finance.
- Minimum 7 years experience in responsible investing or sustainable finance, preferably working in a financial institution.
- Proven experience in one or more areas of expertise in investment analysis, risk assessment, insurance, banking, or development finance.
- Advanced degree in Business, Finance, Risk Management, Economics, Environmental Management, Sustainable Finance or other related field.
- Fluent command of written and spoken English, with any other language an asset.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate global macroeconomic, financial, and market trends clearly and concisely to both expert and non-expert audiences.
- Extensive knowledge of global sustainable finance, development finance, institutional investment management, and/or capital markets.
- Leadership skills: Demonstrated ability to build consensus and exert influence to galvanize internal and external stakeholders around a shared agenda.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently, take initiative and also work constructively within a team.
- Demonstrated ability to build alliances and develop initiatives or platforms for change that leverage the capacity of external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex issues and organizations while executing high quality work in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate experience working with an international team.
- Commitment to WWF’s values: Courage, Integrity, Respect and Collaboration.
Additional desired skills and competencies:
- A strong network of external relationships in the finance sector.
- Experience with issues in environmental protection and nature conservation across WWF’s global themes including wildlife, forests, freshwater, oceans, food, climate and energy is desired.
V. Working Relationships:
Internal – Works closely with Finance Practice Leader, Practice Core Team and Leadership
Team, experts in sustainable finance across WWF’s global network, as well as members of
other WWF Practices. Maintains close liaison with the broader WWF Network.
External – In coordination with others in the WWF network, works with:
- Private and public banks including investors, banks, insurers, Development Finance Institutions and Multilateral Development Banks.
- Financial regulators and policy makers (e.g. IMF, BIS, G20)
- International fora and platforms (e.g. UNEP-FI, UN PRI)
- Experienced actors in financial standards, listing, and rating agencies
- Centers for financial product innovation
- Other civil society organizations with an interest in finance
- Academic institutions
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
Interested candidates should email a CV and a cover letter email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 10 January, 2022. Applications without a cover letter might not be considered.
Please indicate the position being applied for in the subject line.